Saturday, July 11, 2009

Entrance Denied: The Art of the Chastity Belt

I was invited by Lisa Kinoshita (of Mineral) to participate in a group show of Chastity Belts--I was very pleased to be invited, it looks like a good group of people. Next door to the chastity belt show at Mineral will be a show interpreting the Seven Deadly Sins. A fun, moral evening for the whole family!

I don't really want to get into it here about the history of chastity belts. Be content to know it is disturbing and in my opinion, violence against women. It was hard to get started on this project.

My piece, titled "Preemptive Strike", is made from galvanized steel, stained glass, nails, found wire and skeleton keys. My title refers to a violent act made in fear of a perceived threat of invasion.




Entrance Denied at Mineral
Opening Saturday July 18th, 2009
4-8pm
301 Puyallup Ave, Tacoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment