Sunday, July 19, 2009

Hot Glass

I love the Museum of Glass here in Tacoma. It is truly a unique museum-going experience since a major part of it is live glassblowing in the hot shop. We finally bought a membership this year and now I like to pop in every other week or so to watch the artists work. Frequently, visiting artists from all over the world come to work in the shop too.

I am planning on taking a two day glassblowing workshop from the Tacoma Glassblowing Studio soon; hopefully it will work out with my schedule next month.

My sister and her family are here visiting in the Pacific Northwest from Dubai for the month and they had never been to the glass museum before, so a big group of us went last Thursday. My nephew Zayd and I stayed in the hot shop as long as we could before the heat finally got to us.


Ok, Zayd is totally out of focus here, but I wanted to show him.


This is looking up at one of the many Chihuly sculptures on the Bridge of Glass that you can walk across to get to the museum. It reminds me of cotton candy.


Inside the hot shop. You can watch a live feed of the hot shop from the museum's website. Sometimes I geek out on glass from home in my pajamas.


Here the artists are about to transfer the big piece they are working on onto a new rod so they can clean up the other side. A very dramatic moment, everyone in the audience clapped when the transferred it without breaking it. Who knew glass could be so interesting?

No comments:

Post a Comment