Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Sideboard Refinishing


I have been looking for a sideboard/buffet for our dining room ever since we remodeled about, oh, 13 months ago. I really wanted a mid-century, straight-lined, minimalist piece, but have yet to find one that I like under $1800.

Just the other day, however, I was talking to my dad and it turns out he had a formally built-in sideboard that he removed from a 1900 Victorian he was re-doing into condos. I will always take a nice piece of old furniture that is free, but it needs some love, including a new top, knobs, and probably a paint job. Also the top drawer is a little awkward, it is just one incredibly long drawer.

It is nowhere near to looking mid-century modern, but I am willing to work with it. It is the perfect length and can hold all of those items I have no space for since the kitchen remodel took away half the cupboards (napkins, table cloths, cocktail glasses, cake plate, serving dishes, etc.).

I was originally thinking a black, Paperstone top (they have a seconds shop in Hoquiam), but I don't want to make it so heavy I can't move it without 4 people. As soon as our backyard is finished in 2 weeks, I want to move onto this project.

Any ideas how to jazz it up?

No comments:

Post a Comment