Friday, October 23, 2009

Gluten Free Quiche with a Potato Crust

A good friend of mine can't eat any gluten. He isn't one of those no-carb fanatics, he actually gets sick if he eats anything with gluten in it. And he frequently points out that the gluten-free products taste disgusting. And as I am obsessed with feeding people, it always makes me flinch when he beings his own food to parties. So I decided to find a good gluten-free quiche recipe to make for him. It hasn't been easy.

The first attempt was crust less and seemed almost like an omelet instead of a quiche. (I used this recipe at 101 Cookbooks) Then, I figured out a delicious, super simple crust.

This can be easily adapted to use whatever you have on hand. The first time I made it with zucchini, this last time I made it with broccoli. The key is a really tasty cheese. I used Swiss cheese once and it was fairly boring. I like to use a 14" springform pan, but you could easily use a pie plate or other deep tart pan.

Gluten Free Quiche with a Potato Crust

2 medium russet potatoes or 3-4 small red potatoes
olive oil or butter
1 or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, coarse chopped.
2 cups fine chopped broccoli (a mix of florets and stem is nice)
1 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
heaping 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or parmesan/gruyere blend
1/2 cup chopped shallots
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1/3 cup additional yummy cheese to put on top (could be parmesan, gruyere, goat, etc)

Set oven to 350 F.
Oil or butter 14" springform pan.
Peel potatoes and slice as thin as you can. Lightly coat both sides of slices with olive oil. Layer in pan, making sure to overlap all the slices. I used half slices around the edge of the pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, blend together broccoli, ricotta, parmesan, shallots, and garlic and salt and pepper. At this point you could add other seasonings or fresh herbs. Mix in beaten eggs.

Scatter rosemary over par-baked crust, then carefully pour filling into potato crust, making sure not to disturb your potato slices.

Bake for 35 minutes. Sprinkle top with additional cheese and bake another 15-20 minutes until quiche is set. Zap under the broiler for extra browning if you desire.

I want to try this again with ham and gruyere and maybe carmelized onions. Or you could put carmelized onions on top. Gets me hungry thinking about it.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, that looks good! I'm going to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete