Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Holiday Cooking Madness


I love Thanksgiving because it is a holiday that focuses on family and friends and eating good food and isn't so commercially driven. We traditionally have friends over for Thanksgiving. Last year was pretty decent sized with 8 of us. This year it will just be three of us. (Which is just fine with me because we plan to geek out playing Settlers of Catan all night. If you don't know this game, you must go here and here.)

So I am planning a somewhat unconventional Thanksgiving meal. Personally, turkey is not my favorite bird in the world to eat and with only 3 of us that would mean a lot of turkey leftovers. Instead, I am making bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. Oh, yeah, it is going to be magnificent. I also decided for kicks to make a traditional green bean casserole and roasted potatoes and parsnips. And an apple cranberry crisp for dessert. I will probably toss a little green salad in there somewhere, but overall a fun and easy meal to make. Bacon makes me happy.

Except that when I went to the grocery store today, my patience and happiness were truly tested. Crazy people that don't normally buy groceries, let alone cook, were out in force at Fred Meyer's. Aggressive and panicked, they didn't watch where their carts were going and didn't care if you couldn't get past them. Come on people, it isn't really that hard!

But then I got to the meat section. I saw people picking up huge frozen turkeys and I am thinking to myself, "Doesn't it take more than 24 hours to thaw one of those suckers?" Whatever, not my problem. Turns out my problem was that they were completely out of pork tenderloin! Now I was starting to get a little peeved. But I took a deep breath and finished my shopping as fast as possible and got out of there.

It really wasn't that bad since I would now have to go to the gourmet grocery store I usually try to avoid. And since I had to go there, I might as well pick up some good wine while I was there too! And some Reubens for lunch since their deli makes the best Reubens. And a mocha.

A mocha topped with whipped cream and sprinkles put my mood back on the right track.
Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Looks like you have a great T-Day planned. I'm going to my mom's for some Udon (and a ham for Paul).

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum on the udon as well! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always think of thanksgiving eve and indeed the days leading up to it as amateur night at the grocery store. People who never shop plopped into an unknown environment can be trying, but it's also sort of sad. The clueless older man totting his oxygen and getting guidance from his wife via cell phone looks like a deer caught in the headlights and you know the wife would be at the store if her health were any better than his.
    I'm thankful that the grocery store is a familiar place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What makes me sad is when everyone's cart are filled with white dinner rolls and crappy frozen pies and stuffing-in-a-box. Yech!

    ReplyDelete