Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chocolate Planets

The other day I did an odd thing; I checked out a cookbook from the library. Why is that odd, you ask? Well, I am filthy cook. It is impossible for me to cook or bake anything without splattering water or oil or butter or flour all over the place. As a consequence of these actions, I don't like to check out a cookbook from the library because I will destroy it. Or, like Saturday, when I made these cookies, I had to place the cookbook far out of range and then run over to it frequently to check the recipe.

The cookbook is The Improvisational Cook by Sally Schneider. The reason why I was interested enough to check it out is because this isn't a traditional cookbook. It does contain recipes but within each recipe are multiple recipes. So a cookie recipe can also be a cake recipe and brownie recipe just by tweaking a few ingredients. It's all about teaching yourself to cook spontaneously with what you have on hand. This is how I generally cook, so the book intrigued me.

And this recipe started with her basic Chocolate Wonders cookie recipe that includes these Planets (smaller cookies without chips or nuts) and a Pepper Brownie Cake along with a whole bunch of other ideas. This recipe takes only a tiny bit longer than a traditional cookie recipe, but the results are delicate and chewy and remind me not a little of Chocolate Crinkles. I had to make it my own recipe by adding chile powder to the dough and sea salt at the end.

Chocolate Planets

6 oz. semi sweet chocolate, coarse chopped
2 oz. unsweetened baker's chocolate
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon chile powder
2 large eggs, room temp
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup sugar
sea salt (optional)

Oven 325 F Cover baking sheets with parchment paper

Melt chocolates and butter in double boiler, stirring until thoroughly combined. Allow to cool slightly.

Meanwhile, mix together flour, baking powder, chile powder, and salt in small bowl. (I love chocolate and spice! It doesn't make them "hot".)

In large bowl, combine eggs, vanilla, and instant coffee. With an electric hand mixer, mix until combined. Add sugar and mix until eggs are start to thicken, about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape chocolate mix into eggs. Stir with spatula until just combined. Add flour and stir until just combined.

Drop the batter by the teaspoon full onto parchment covered baking sheets. This is messy as the batter is sticky. If they look a little sloppy, don't worry. The baking will even them out.
Sprinkle sea salt on the tops before baking.
Bake 10-12 minutes. Allow cookies to set a minute before carefully transferring them via metal spatula to cooling rack.

I love how rich and chewy these are. I loved my additions of the chile powder and salt. I will make these again!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this post. I am making these cookies for the first time today (I had torn the recipe out of O Magazine years ago). The batter is so thin that I wasn't sure the recipe was correct, but it is just the same as you posted above. Now it's on to baking!

    ReplyDelete