Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fountains at the Burj Khalifa



Not only is the Burj Khalifa the tallest building in the world, it has a "record setting" fountain. I couldn't quite figure out what specifically is record setting about it. It can shoot 22,000 gallons of water into the air at once and it was designed by the same firm that created the fountain at the Bellagio but is much much bigger.


It plays every half an hour after dusk and rotates through a play list of about 30 different songs and the water is all choreographed to match the music. Hundreds of people line up to watch. I love this photo of these fellows watching the fountains. They are most likely Saudi based on their dress, but they could be Emirati as well.
Here's a little video of it I found on You Tube. The building on the far left is the mall where we were sitting in an outdoor cafe and where I took all my pictures from. The small mall where we were connects by bridge to the Dubai Mall (where this video was shot from), which is truly gigantic and overwhelming.

Lights run up and down the Burj in synchronicity with the music.


I think it is very dramatic looking with the clouds behind it; it almost looks fake.
Thursday we are going up the observation deck, 120 stories up.

Now I have to go because we are planning out the rest of the week. My dad just got here yesterday so there are 3 of us all with interests we are trying to balance out. Desert Safari or roof top dinner? Fabric shopping or spice souk? Hopefully we can juggle all of them successfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment